Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Sunny Skies and Positive Outlooks or Just Keep Swimming


Sunset at Waimea Bay
Half a year has passed. Six full months (and a few days/weeks if you want to get specific) have flown by since we touched down at Honolulu International Airport. I would like to say lots has happened. Ultimately, I believe that is true. However, sometimes it feels like it's the same grind, just in a new place. Life seems to inexorably move forward. Of course, if it moved backward... No, never mind, not going there. (was about to make a bad joke about life backwards is efil.. er..)


One of the first adventures we made sure to have was a trip to
Snorkel Bob's to pick up quality equipment and then a snorkel trip
to Hanauma Bay. We have since gone twice more and will likely
take all those who visit us on the island. Still the best spot on
O'ahu for seeing fish.

So here is your half a year recap.

We landed. We saw. We conquered.


Proof that moving to Hawai'i doesn't change who you are.
I am still a moron. ... er.. I mean goofball.. or moron
You choose.
Rather, we arrived, we did stuff, we did other stuff... and I still haven't landed a job. However, prospects are looking up. Now, I make it sound like it's extremely difficult to get a job. Obviously, I had a job. I quit it because it did not allow me to maintain my priorities in life. For what it's worth, I just received notice that I have been selected for an interview as a librarian at some library (random job number 1,409 that I applied for nearly 3 months ago!). The state of Hawai'i certainly does not do anything fast.

When you compound that with my own ineptitude (the bit that I'm willing to admit and knowingly need to work on), it equates to 6 months of little employment. THAT BEING SAID. I have my intake interview on March 2nd for the Hawai'i Department of Education. I have done some asking around what types of questions are asked for that interview and know what I need to review to be prepared for that process. Go. Me.

Moving on.
A picture of me trying to surf on non-
existent waves because I was super
excited about having a board. Still super
excited, but I don't try to surf silly little
shorebreakers anymore. So, that's a
small improvement.

Life is about setting goals. 
So, here are my goals for this year of 2015.
  • Learn to surf - I know this probably shouldn't be first, but it is.
  • Play more racquetball - once again, not sure if it should be ahead of others, but it is. My priorities often skew toward my mental/physical well being ahead of my monetary and career goals.
  • Get a job teaching Music - All steps are in place, I was a little slow on the uptake in figuring out how to get myself into the system. Admittedly, I made the mistake of thinking I understood what was needed instead of just ASKING. The lesson learned. Always be humble enough to ask question!!
  • Venture off O'ahu (Hawai'i, Maui, Lanai, etc) - pretty self explanatory
  • Practice trumpet more. Better yet, work on a new solo, work on the things that have been my weaknesses on the instrument for a long time (articulations, multiple tonguing, etc)
Ok, so that was fun! I know, I know you're thinking "whatevs, dude"... but I wanted to share, so, too bad.

Striped Butterflyfish. They mate for life. You often find pairs
of them. One of my favorite pictures I have taken these past six
months.
Moving on, I'd like to take a second and just talk about snorkeling. Yes, I have probably done too much of it (as if!). It's something that is just relaxing for me. It allows me to just decompress and not worry about anything. Which is great! Also, you get the added bonus of getting to see some really sweet fishes! Including, but not limited to some of these guys below.


I mean, seriously, who wouldn't love swimming with this
guy here?
I never knew I could have so much fun swimming with fishes. This is something that Deanna has introduced me to that I hope I will never have to give up. Sadly, I'm not sure we can live in Hawai'i forever and eventually we may have to move away to somewhere with not quite so tropical weather. I am thankful,

however, everyday that I have a wife who pushes me to do new things. Admittedly, on my own, I can be a little bit sedentary. Too much homebody, not enough adventurer. However, with Deanna I get the adventurous itch and try new things that I never knew I could love as much as I do!

So far Hanauma Bay is probably still the best place to see quantities of fish. However, that comes with the price tag of "dealing with surplus tourism".. and sometimes that price is just too steep. I really fell in love with Shark's Cove these past two weeks. It's not the greatest place to go if you are just wanting to troll around on the top of the water, but it has been the most reliable spot to date for seeing turtles. Who doesn't love seeing sea turtles? Also, both times I have gone I have spotted whales breaching and leaping out of the water. Come on? Seriously? This is the life we live. Nature is abundant with beauty, no?
While Shark's Cove has plenty of beautiful fish and opportunities for turtles, Kaneohe Bay's sandbar was definitely the best place for true tranquility. Especially when you venture out on a weekday. It seriously felt like we were the only ones out in the water. The fish were plentiful, though not particularly varied or large, and the coral was some of the healthiest looking coral I have seen on O'ahu (which there isn't much of)


Shark's Cove is a treasure trove for swimming with turtles

Just keep swimming
 We have also snorkeled at Turtle Bay and around the Lanikai area (including around and near the Mokes) and while it has never been a "not fun" experience, the trio of Hanuama, Shark's Cove, and K-Bay are the clear winners for the island of O'ahu. However, all this has done is whet my appetite for more! So, a trip to Maui (or somewhere) to snorkel more of the open waters needs to be scheduled. (maybe even somewhere in the future like Fiji, or anywhere else that has good snorkeling, not even sure where, would have to do some research).

Anyway, that was a really boring way of saying. "Dude, snorkelz is the shiz"

Eight legs! It's got eight legs! So many legs!


Tako trying to look all camouflaged.
Last week I took a solo trip to Shark's Cove, luckily everything worked out that not only did Deanna have Monday off from work, but also the surf was low enough that Shark's Cove was snorkelable (made up a new word!). See, cause Shark's Cove is on the North Shore, where all the sweet gnarly swells are at in the winter, so you kind of have to keep an eye on the surf report if you are going to go there. Otherwise you cut yourself up on the rocks trying to get in or out of the cove. Oh, wait, even with the reportedly "calmer" waters, Deanna still did that! (not to worry, 'cut up' her knee equates to got a small cut that bled and then stopped bleeding. However, with coral and rocks and sea water, you definitely want to keep some antiseptic around, as they are highly likely for infection). We were lucky enough to see a couple of turtles, also, I randomly said to Deanna "hey, it looks like there is a cool rock/reef formation over here, let's head over this way." and low and behold, we saw a tako! (octopuss). I frantically got her attention and led her down to see it. It was pretty exciting. Nothing like having child-like excitement over seeing a new thing! I love seeing new things! Must see all the things!


Yup. So, basically it was an exciting Monday. Other things happened I am sure, but nothing more exciting than honu and tako.

We have also hiked a handful of trails since we have arrived. The first trail we hiked was kind of a "we have the cabin fever from being stuck inside our hotel room for a week after being stuck in a hotel room in New Jersey" kind of moment, so we just did the only hike we really knew about which was Diamondhead Crater. Certainly, like nearly EVERY hike on the island, the view was incredible.

View from atop Diamondhead Crater
Deanna looking sassy during a hike.
View from one of the pillboxes.
We have done trails with friend where I do not even remember the name of the trail, only that it was up high on the mountain and once again, the views were amazing. The most recent trail we have done, is also the one we did the most (twice) which is the Lanikai Pillbox Trail. It also sports amazing views, which could rank up at some of the best on the island.
View from atop Koko Head
Heading down Koko Head


Final recap of all that we have done or had happen. We've even kept up on our community band habit that we have maintained for quite a while. Currently we are members in two separate community bands (I sometimes sub in a third, a jazz ensemble). Deanna joined a dojo for her karate in Kailua and recently belted up (got a new color or whatever it is called). Deanna also got promoted to E5!

I guess all of this is to say. It's been a really fun six months. At least thus far, we can't imagine not living in Hawai'i. I know that sounds crazy to say, but there is seriously something to be said for having every day off that you have together feel like a VACATION. Not just a day off, but a VACATION. Let that sink in. I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad about their snow or cold, well, maybe a little, but to say we have enjoyed these past six month is an understatement. I'm not sure how the next six months will be, but if they are half as enjoyable as the past six it will have been a successful first year in Hawai'i. Now, I will get back to working on those goals I posted.

Aloha! And enjoy a small recap in photos from the past six months!


Just walking off at the Mokes

Faced off at some "medium" sized waves at Waimea Bay


Like a fish

Mmmm fresh cold coconut!

Shaka!

Double Thumbs Up!

Ready for the next six months (and beyond!)





And yes, I basically just did a recap/highlights show. The bane of all TV shows invades the blog.







No comments:

Post a Comment